On campus

Students Tuesday at Texas A&M University-Commerce have plenty of room to walk on campus. Classes were canceled Tuesday and Wednesday with all activities to resume Thursday following a shooting incident on campus which left two sisters dead and one child injured.

A suspect has been arrested and charged with capital murder in connection with the shooting deaths Monday of two Texas A&M University-Commerce students.

The Texas A&M University-Commerce Police Department also identified the victims of the incident as sisters.

The suspect was named as Jacques Dshawn Smith, 21. Smith is said to not be a student at A&M-Commerce and is believed to be the ex-boyfriend of Abbaney Matts, one of the deceased individuals.

An arrest warrant was obtained through the use of surveillance and witness tips.

The A&M-Commerce University Police Department led the investigation with the help of the Texas Rangers, FBI, DPS, ATF, Mesquite Police Department, Commerce Police Department, Hunt County Sheriff’s Office and Hunt County Homeland Security.

Deja Matts, 19, of Garland, was a freshman at the university and was pursuing a bachelor of science degree in public health.

Abbaney Matts, 20, and sister of Deja. Abbaney Matts was also not an enrolled student at A&M-Commerce.

The third victim was the 2-year-old son of Abbaney Matts, who was treated and released to the care of family members.

According to the department, the shooting appeared to be a targeted, isolated event. The shooting remains an active investigation with multiple law enforcement agencies assisting.

The department has also posted a recording of the 911 call to their website at www.tamuc.edu/CampusLife/CampusServices/universityPoliceDepartment/.

In the call, a student said she’d returned to her dorm room after class and found a hole in her wall with a nick in her calendar directly across from it.

“So it looks like something was shot through the wall and hit my calendar. And the wall is like all broken apart,” she said.

She said she tried to look for an “object” that would have fallen once it hit but she couldn’t find anything.

The two women were found shot and killed and the child was critically injured Monday morning at a residence hall on the Texas A&M University-Commerce campus.

Late Monday night, University President Mark Rudin issued a statement, noting the Pride Rock Residence Hall had reopened and offering prayers for all those impacted by the event.

“During this difficult time, we encourage our Lion family – students, faculty, staff and friends – to remain supportive of each other,” Rudin said. “Since this is an active investigation multiple law enforcement agencies are still conducting, we cannot speak further to the specific circumstances surrounding this isolated incident at this time. We assure you that we are taking measures to ensure your continued safety on campus and to provide services and support to you all.”

The department conducted a brief press conference Monday afternoon, during which it was reported the incident was called in at 10:17 a.m. Monday.

When officers arrived at the residence hall they found the two women deceased and a critically injured child, who was transported to a local hospital and was listed Monday evening in stable condition.

Herald-Banner reporters Travis Hairgrove and Don Wallace also contributed to this report.

Recommended for you